Monday, December 31, 2007

Jacob by Jacquelyn Frank



This is the first book in The Nightwalkers series.

About the Book
"Jacob the Enforcer belongs to one of the many Nightwalker races that thrive on the dark of night. He has a job to do for his species and it's rather straightforward. He polices his people. During the full moon their animal urge to mate overcomes them, and if they stay within their race they never need to encounter the Enforcer. But if they cross the line and turn their lust to another species...say humans...it's Jacob's duty to prevent them and then to punish them severely for it. As this 'madness' grows worse and worse for his people, there is hardly a family who hasn't felt the brutal sting of Jacob's justice. Punishment is so dire and so feared, Jacob can call very few others his friend and the life the Enforcer leads is a very solitary one.

Then one night during a hunt for one of his own, he encounters the first human woman who will tempt him in all of his 622 years of life. Isabella is a simple Bronx gal who works at her local library, lives with her sister and owns a cat."

Tell me more, tell me more!
I believe this is the first time I've read a book by Jaci Frank...can't seem to remember her writings in my library before I picked up this debut novel for the Nightwalker series.

I found this novel involving Demons just delightful. I've resisted starting this series and for the life of me, I really don't know why. :(

This was a great primer to the series and various other Demons and vampires who will be rounding out the additional books.

I like Isabella. For once it wasn't an irrational heroine facing her true role in life! She was gutsy and took her shots as she went along. I appreciated that slant to the story. Noah, the king of demons, and his sister, Magdalena, get into a hot spot of trouble with Bella that I wasn't expecting. I did laugh out loud at some of the interplay between characters.

I must confess though, that every time someone called the heroine Bella, I thought of Bella from Lover Eternal. I have a feeling I have avoided the series initally b/c I thought this would be similar to JR Ward's series. I'm quite happy to see that it stands on it's own two feet. The writing was divine. I heartedly recommend this book!

Grade: A

Sandie

2 comments:

~ames~ said...

I'm glad you liked this. Can't wait for your thoughts on the next two Nightwalkers. :P

I like the covers too.

Sandie said...

Thanks, yeah, I am lovin' Gideon.
Granted I think Damien's book is gonna rock. Just 'cause I love vamps!

:)

Sandie